Are you looking for a tool to help you bounce back from a rough day, or, a resource or two that might point your pessimistic perspective to a more pleasant place? If so, check out “An ounce of Bounce: Cultivating Resilience in Health Care,” a WebEx Case Conference by our very own Mark Katz, MD, recorded earlier this year.
During the lunchtime CME, Dr. Katz discussed perceived relationships between resilience and burnout, as well as resilience and gratitude, and offered up numerous tools to help physicians achieve greater resilience.
To find out what a beanbag chair and shield have to do with resilience, check out his recording! No time for that? Then why not check out what Dr. Katz is reading for his own resilience?
Books available on Amazon.com
- First Do No Harm: Being a Resilient Doctor in the 21st Century (Rowe and Kidd)
- The How of Happiness (Sonia Lyubomirsky)
- Restore Yourself: The Antidote for Professional Exhaustion (Edy GreenBlatt)
- Time Lost and Found (Anne Lamott), a simple, frank piece that may encourage you to find time for you.
- Authentic-Happiness.com. According to Dr. Katz, you could spend a week on this website going through various blogs and taking free learning modules.
About Mark Katz, MD: Dr. Katz is Assistant Physician in Charge, Hospitalist Division,West Los Angeles. He has a passion for communication and is the Co-Director of Clinician-Patient Communication at his medical center. Although he often works evenings and nights as a hospitalist, he has also been caring for HIV-positive patients at West L.A.’s HIV clinic since 1988, and frequently lectures on HIV/AIDS. Dr. Katz, who has been with SCPMG since 1985, thrives by practicing daily meditation, walking (to work!) to keep fit, expressing gratitude “constantly,” and spending time with family.
Whether you wish take the lunchtime lecture for CME credit, or you simply wish to listen, go to the online learning module on SCPMG Physician Portal (note you must be on the KP network to access the portal), then
- Click on the “Course Catalog” icon.
- Go to the Health & Wellness section.
- Click on the course you wish to take.
- Click “Submit enrollment” link.
- Click “Launch” link to view course.
The Southern California Permanente Medical Group is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Southern California Permanente Medical Group designates this live educational activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ for each session in this series. Physicians should claim only credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certification in Continuing Medical Education.